Tuesday, June 14, 2016

2: Theories & Models of Learning

As a teacher, one of my main focuses is to understand how my individual students best learn and understand the material. At the beginning of each school year, I give my students an assessment to determine their preferred learning style and how they learn best. This idea is based on epistemology or what we know and how we know it. Throughout my four years as an educator, I have practiced and applied several different theories of epistemology on how students acquire knowledge, including theories listed in the text. I have used parts of Situated Learning Theory by providing a classroom more based on cooperation than competition so students can acquire meaning based on my “cultural system” I had established in my classroom (Reiser & Dempsey, 2012). My students really benefitted from establishing a community together rather than conquering tasks individually. Also, I have utilized Gagne’s Theory of Instruction by gaining my students attention through a “hook” in order to get them engaged in the lesson. I have also organized lessons based on the Project Based Learning (PBL) model by allowing the students to learn by creating authentic problems for my students to solve together. My biggest example of applying this theory would be implementing a Breakout EDU mini-lesson modified to fit the Civil War unit. By giving my advanced Pre-AP class a scenario where they had to solve clues to understand and analyze Lincoln’s assassination. By doing this PBL strategy, I created a buy in and an authentic problem solving experience within a time crunch for my students to become intrigued (www.breakoutedu.com). I see a comparison between all of these theories discussed as they all come down to one audience: our students. In Post-Industrial America, school is seen as “duty” and the excitement has lulled (Reiser & Dempsey, 2012). As an educator, we must make learning our content relevant and worthwhile for our students. While I have used aspects of each of these in my classroom on any given basis, I tend to follow the Constructivism collection of views more closely than any of the other theories. As collaborative or cooperative learning stem from ideas on constructivism, I tend to favor more collaboration than competition in classroom activities. This also allows me to not the sole voice in the room, but rather the guide on an activity the students take on together.
Throughout my career and experience inside and outside of a classroom, I have seen a plethora of outlooks on learning and what truth looks like. When determining my stance and outlook of truth and knowledge, even though I do see myself as some of a contextualist, I do believe that I am primarily a positivist. While I cannot say that I am always the most positive person, as a historian, I do believe that knowledge is objective truth with no feelings, biases or opinions (Dictionary.com). In my years as both an educator and a student in school, I have had several conflicts with instructors or coaches. The more prominent conflict is my high school basketball coach’s relativist outlook. As a player and captain for the team, he was very insistent that students learn by their context and relative frame of reference. And if any of the players were not able to understand any aspect of the game or his theories, it was due to their lack of motivation or work ethic, and had nothing to do with any other context. This coach was a very old school soul of education in the belief that education is similar to the “American dream” and that every person is responsible for motivating themselves intrinsically and the teacher serves no role as a motivator. On the contrary, I believe that if teachers can show the students what they are capable of, all students can succeed at whatever they aim to do. In spite of my experience under this high school coach, my constructivist ideals have not changed even while being surrounded by relativist co-workers in almost every setting.
As I have stated earlier, my personal philosophy leans more towards collaboration than competition in my classroom. However, I do see a need for positive reinforcements and instructional feedback in education for students to understand what is expected of them. As a young teacher, classroom management with its base in behaviorism can either make or break a classroom culture. While constructivism and behaviorism both focus on students partaking and engaging in activities while teachers observe as a guide.  Both theories incorporate student-led instruction while still giving the teachers the option to step in with redirections or guidance for students instant feedback. As a problem-solving guide, both behaviorism and constructivism can be easily misconstrued as they both focus on students “actively” responding and engaging (Reiser & Dempsey, 2012). However, behaviorism typically ends at students being actively involved in class, while constructivism takes it a step further and creates “authentic” learning through engagement and can be best applied by focusing on relevance of the subject to the learner (Reiser & Dempsey, 2012). Also, behaviorism can easily be intertwined in any classroom at any given moment, especially important to a new teacher. Constructivism takes a more learner-centered approach and requires more planning by the teacher to create authentic learning experiences for all students, which fits at least a more advanced and experienced educator. This element of more in-depth planning is one of the many limitations and challenges to constructivism as it can be very overwhelming. But, when applied correctly, this element creates life-long learners by allowing students to master concepts more thoroughly and can instill a motivation for both low and high learners to continue learning even after the duty of school has ended. Because constructivism can be applied and manipulated to fit all students’ individual goals in content and experiences, I believe it benefits classrooms more than just utilizing behaviorism. Rather, I would advocate for a mixture of the two theories.

Breakout EDU. (n.d.). Retrieved June 13, 2016, from http://www.breakoutedu.com/

Dictionary.com - The world's favorite online English dictionary! (n.d.). Retrieved June 13, 2016, from http://www.dictionary.com/


Reiser, R. A., & Dempsey, J. V. (2012). Trends and Issues in Instructional Design and Technology (3rd ed.). Boston: Pearson.

3 comments:

  1. Mrs.Cates, I really enjoyed reading your blog. You stated in your blog that when you start the school year you give your students an assessment to see where their learning level is at which I find such great and useful tip, that is great how you see where each student is to figure how you will get your lessons taught and not leaving anyone behind. I don't believe a lot of teacher take out the time to really understand their students, which isn't good. Knowing how your students work together gives you a plus as a teacher by the lesson plans you design. You also went on to a great point explaining how you bring in authentic problems which I really agree on this method. To me this is a great way for children to capture the material by using life scenarios to make the young students grasp the knowledge.

    Collaboration can go a very long way in the classroom which as a future educator believe is a great thing to join. As you stated in your post it allows you to be a guide instead of being the sole voice in the room, which again benefits the students learning because they aren't becoming so dependent on you and can work together instead of being given the answer. Even though we don't agree on the same outlook, you make a great point explaining your views giving me a better understanding of your point of view. You stated that your constructivist ideal wont be changed by relativist you're around. By you having a great strong point of view and standing for what you believe in, that will only help your classroom become even greater.

    Depending on certain grade levels or subject being taught each teacher will always have different perspectives on their teaching or philosophy. Mrs. Cates you helped me learn a better understanding of what your philosophy is. You explaining every theory gave me a chance to look at each one in greater depth and opening my eyes to a different point of view which I know that I can be open-minded and know that when I start teaching I don't necessarily have to be one theory minded. Great post Mrs. Cates. I learned a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Throughout my career and experience inside and outside of a classroom, I have seen a plethora of outlooks on learning and what truth looks like." This quote from your blog really stands out to me because it sounds as though it would be something I would say myself. I am also a positivist and I truly connected to almost everything you stated in your blog. It is well-written with great explanation and in-depth thought.I agreed with your point of view on the constructivism vs behaviorism explanation in that constructivism allows a more active role from the kids than behaviorism. As well, my classroom runs from a more Gagne type structure where I give the kids a focus and we expand on the focus to eventually come to a conclusion.
    I really enjoyed reading your post, your writing is interesting and engaging! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your emphasis on collaboration instead of cooperation. While this is common in elementary classes, it unfortunately slides to the wayside in upper grades. This is such a shame when we know how important it is in life in general and in most jobs. I also really relate to your description of utilizing different aspects of so many different learning theories in your classroom. I think this is one reason that teaching is more of an art - all of us are different and relate to our students and our content in different ways - there is no one "right" way. Everyone gets something different out of a piece of art and everyone can get something different out of a good teacher.

    ReplyDelete